Submission deadline for abstracts and bursaries
Payment deadline adjusted
Please note: The adjusted payment deadline for authors of accepted abstracts to get their abstracts published in Virchows Archiv is 16 June 2022.
Abstract submission for the 34th ECP is now closed.
The submission deadline was 21 April 2022.
Please note that abstracts can only be presented (and thus published) on-site, not virtually! Please ensure that you are able to travel to Basel when submitting an abstract.
Guidelines for preparation and submission
- Please choose a title that clearly indicates the content of the contribution.
- Please avoid abbreviations in the title (exception: scientific terms). Abbreviations may be used in the text if they are defined when used first.
- Please make sure to use proper English language.
- Please DO NOT spell abstract titles and co-authors' names in capital letters.
- The author‘s name (full first name, family name) and place of work (institution, city, country) should be indicated in the respective form fields, not in the abstract title.
- Degrees, titles, street addresses and acknowledgements of support should be omitted in the abstract title and text.
- Please use the correct e-mail addresses of co-authors. Please do not use the same e-mail address for several co-authors. This will result in wrong authors' listing within Virchows Archiv. Note: Only the submitting/presenting author's affiliation will be published in Virchows Archiv.
- Tables and graphs may not be added to your abstract.
- Please do not copy your abstract text from any word-processing programme document file.
To provide maximum information in the abstract please
- state the specific background & objective of the study
- state the methods used, if pertinent
- summarise the results obtained
- state the conclusions reached
- ensure that the abstract does not contain spelling, grammar or scientific errors, as it will be reproduced exactly as submitted.
- A maximum of 5 abstracts per author will be accepted for submission. Additional submissions will not be considered (without further notice).
- Encore abstracts: An abstract which has been previously published cannot be submitted, unless there are new methods, findings, updated data or other acceptable reasons for submitting.
- Abstracts are to be submitted in English, the official language of the 34th ECP, should not exceed 290 words (in total) and be structured in the following specified subtitles: background & objective, methods, results and conclusion. Please stick to the indicated maximum amount of words in each section (40/60/110/80).
- Authors need to select whether they are submitting a Case Report, a Case Report Series or Original Research. Case Reports should also be structured as much as possible following the aforementioned categories. If not possible, the authors should upload the abstracts using the most appropriate categories (in the respective text boxes in the submission form).
- The abstract submission constitutes a formal commitment by the author to present the corresponding presentation in the session and time slot assigned by the Scientific Committee. Please note that abstracts can only be presented (and thus published) on-site, not virtually! Please ensure that you are able to travel to Basel when submitting an abstract.
Abstracts submitted in conjunction with a virtual registration cannot be considered.
- Changes in authorship should be communicated to the Congress and Exhibition Office at email@example.com in order to ensure correct appearance in the printed programme. Changes will be accepted up until the submission deadline (21 April 2022).
Should the first author, who is considered the presenter, turn out to be unable to present his/her poster or have more than two presentations on one day, one of the coauthors should take over this responsibility. A change of the presenting author needs to be communicated to the Congress and Exhibition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and will only be processed after acceptance of abstracts. Presenter changes, which are being addressed to the Congress and Exhibition Office before the official acceptance notification, will not be considered.
- Registration and payment to the congress is mandatory to be able to present the abstract and get it published in the abstract book – and must be completed by 16 June 2022. If the speaker fails to register and pay before 16 June 2022, her / his abstract will be excluded from the scientific programme and publication in Virchows Archiv.
- If a delegate has registered upon the condition that her / his abstract is accepted and the abstract is rejected, the registration fee will be refunded. The acceptance of abstracts by the Scientific Committee does not imply any financial assistance or fee reduction.
- Notification of acceptance or rejection by the Scientific Committee will be emailed to the submitting author. Detailed information in which format the abstract is accepted (oral or poster presentation or E-Poster) as well as guidelines and recommendations for each abstract type will be sent shortly after notifications to registered submitting authors.
When submitting an abstract, please select one of the following topics:
1. Computational Pathology Symposium (CP) - please note this topic will be combined with "IT in Pathology" for ECP 2022!
2. Molecular Pathology Diagnostics Symposium (MD)
3. Autopsy Pathology
4. Breast Pathology
5. Cardiovascular Pathology
8. Digestive Diseases Pathology - GI
9. Digestive Diseases Pathology - Liver/Pancreas
10. Electron Microscopy
11. Endocrine Pathology
12. Gynaecological Pathology
14. Head and Neck Pathology
15. History of Pathology
16. Infectious Diseases Pathology
17. IT in Pathology - please note this topic will be combined with "Computational Pathology Symposium (CP)" for ECP 2022!
18. Molecular Pathology
21. Ophthalmic Pathology
22. Paediatric and Perinatal Pathology
23. Pathology in Favour of Developing Countries
24. Pulmonary Pathology
25. Soft Tissue and Bone Pathology
26. Thymic and Mediastinal Pathology
28. Other Topics